How do you greet someone in Myanmar?
- The traditional greeting in Myanmar is a bow whilst placing both hands on your stomach.
- Often younger people will bow and an older person will simply nod in response.
- To greet monks, place your hands together in prayer position, hold them at face level and bow deeply.
What is considered rude in Myanmar?
It is considered rude to touch a person’s head, because it is the “highest” point of the body. It is also considered taboo to touch another’s feet, but worse still to point with the foot or sit with feet pointing at someone older, because the feet are considered the lowest.
What is your name in Myanmar?
What’s your name?: Nah meh be lou kor d’le?
How do you say thank you in Myanmar?
‘Cè-zù tin-ba-deh’ is the written form of ‘thank you’ in the Myanmar language. It’s pronounced as ‘kyay zuu tin bar tal’.
How do you say goodnight in Myanmar?
Greetings & Farewell
- Twei ya da wan tha ba de: I’m pleased to meet you.
- Cezu tin ba deh: Thank you.
- Mingala nan ne khin ba: Good morning.
- Kaun tho nei Khin ba: Good afternoon.
- Kaun tho nya nei khin: ba: Good evening.
- Thwa: bi: Goodnight/goodbye.
What is considered beautiful in Myanmar?
When you make a trip to Myanmar, it’s hard to escape the image of long-necked women of the Kayan tribe in Myanmar. These women must wear brass rings around their necks. … For them, a long neck is a standard of beauty. In this spirit, the longer a woman’s neck is, the more beautiful she becomes.
How do you show respect in Myanmar?
To pay deep respect, kneel on the ground and touch your palms and forehead to the floor three times. This custom is called the ‘kadaw’. Many people may show respect to monks and images or depictions of Buddha in this same way. It is considered important to dress in modest and neat clothing.
How do I give my name to Myanmar?
Westernising Burmese Names
- Burmese people living overseas may have to adapt their names to suit English-Western conventions for administrative purposes, i.e. [personal name] [middle name] [SURNAME].
- In such cases, a person may use the last word of their personal name as their surname, e.g. Daw Mya AYE.
What is the main religion of Myanmar?
There is significant demographic correlation between ethnicity and religion. Theravada Buddhism is the dominant religion among the majority Bamar ethnic group and among the Shan, Rakhine, Mon, and numerous other ethnic groups.